Monday, May 23, 2011

A Small Bump in the Road for William

The boys had been having a great week and I think Alex and I just got comfortable with only hearing good news.  So we were completely caught off guard yesterday when the nurse practitioner called and told us that William was sick.  He had been bradying (sudden heart rate drops) more than normal and his labs came back with high blood platelets and a low white blood cell count and he was just acting like he wasn't feeling well by being really lethargic.  They had sent some of his blood to be checked for bacterial infections, but they also needed our consent to do a spinal tap so they could rule out bacterial meningitis.  Pretty scary.  Every time I hear meningitis I can only think of when my sister Sydney got near-death sick with bacterial meningitis at 10 months old and lost her hearing.  On top of that Alex had a minor sore throat that day so she had to stay away from the NICU.

I hurried down to the hospital and walked in the boy's room just as the nurses were prepping William for the spinal tap.  I pray I never have to have one of those and it was pretty tough to watch your 3 week old premie have to have one.  Luckily for my emotions William didn't cry out at all while they did the procedure, which I guess was more indication that he really isn't feeling very well.  The results from the spinal tap were only going to take a few hours so I stuck around the hospital until they came back.  As a big relief to all of us his spinal fluid was normal so they can rule out meningitis.  We need to wait a few days for his bacterial cultures to come back, so in the mean time they have put him back on an IV and started a 3-day series of antibiotics.  It's also possible that he has just got a viral infection in which case we will just have to wait it out.  To help him breath while he is fighting the bug they have put him back on the high-flow oxygen.

It has been tough seeing him go through his increased brady episodes and desat spells.  Both boys normally do this several times a day, however when healthy they quickly recover on their own and if it weren't for their monitor alarms we probably wouldn't notice.  However since William is sick he just doesn't have the energy to bounce back from the episodes, so the the nurse or us need to help stimulate him to get him back and it is the first time I've visually seen him turn blue.  Kind of a wake up call that as well as Winston and William have been doing they really are still sick and need to be in intensive care.

I'm sure that this will turn out to be just a small bump in their road to them coming home with us.  Despite William being sick they both gained weight last night and Winston passed the 4 pound mark!  William is only two ounces behind him.  This morning William looked visibly better than last night and seemed to have more of his usual energy.  Hopefully he will be doing even better tonight when I stop by to visit them.  And hopefully Alex is feeling better soon so that she can get back to visiting them.

Today marks their 21st day in the NICU.  Only 46 days until their due date!  We can't wait for them to be healthy enough to come home.

William shortly after his spinal tap procedure.  Even when he is sick he his pretty darn cute.  

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm sorry you guys had some bad news. I know how hard and emotionally draining getting bad news is! But they are adorable!! I know they will do great! I know having babies in the NICU is such a hard thing but it is so worth it!!!!! Love you guys and I'm praying for your sweet babies!!!

Allison said...

I'm so sorry you guys. We love them and our praying for all of you everyday. Isn't Bradying the worst?!? I hated it. Love you!

Brooke said...

I am so sorry William is sick. I'm thinking and praying for you guys constantly! I can't wait until your boys are home.

Richard and Emily said...

Oh little William! Stay strong buddy!! We hope you feel better quick! you too Al :) At least he won't remember the awful spinal tap. Those stink. i have had two and wouldn't mind if I forgot all about them. Well, keep on truckin and keep the positive stuff comin boys!

Tasharoo said...

I teared up when I read that you watched the spinal tap. I hate that you have to go through this. It's horrible watching your kiddos going through hard things and procedures! I don't know if Alex told you but my Parker (turned 16 on May 23) was a preemie, stopped growing @ 30 weeks and I delivered him at 36 weeks. He was 3 lb. 14 oz. So I know a little bit of what you are going through. You guys are doing GREAT!!! It really is fun to have tiny babies, just not fun having to enjoy them at the hospital. But they are in the best place & being well taken care of. NICU staff is AWESOME!!
Hang in there! and just think you will be WELL prepared for their circumcisions! (I had to walk down the hall and burst into tears, again) cuz I could still hear him crying. I love you guys and pray and think of you often! Good Luck!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

What a relief that he does not have meningitis! What a hard thing to have to watch your baby go through but what STRONG little guys William AND Winston are! We think of you guys all the time and send our well wishes to the whole family!

Stephen said...

Thanks for the update TJ -- I hope William beats out that infection quickly. I'm glad that they caught it early on, and that its not meningitis. I'm sorry that the brady's have been more severe. I hope by now things have started improving again.

Regardless, we will pray specifically for William's quick recovery and no complications.

I've been grateful to see how strong your boys are and how amazingly well they're doing, and how bright the future looks for them! Way to go William and Winston, you can do it!

With love,
Stephen and Emily Holden

Cam said...

Tell william to keep up the good work. I am sure that it was quite a tough couple of days for you two.

We are praying for you and your little guys.